As usual, when ever doing anything, the golden rule safety first is important to implement. First of all, consult your doctor if it is safe to go ahead to with a self-massage system in your physical condition.The doctor will guide you and ask you to respond accordingly. In a nutshell, drink plenty of fresh water to cleanse the body of toxins and have light snacks with fresh water.
- Under no circumstances take a drug or drink to enhance the relaxing effect of the self-massage as it is just not possible to find how you may react to the result of the intoxication.
Photo source: Pinterest
- Do not take heavy meals right after self-massage as body’s energy gets diverted to other parts for digesting the heavy meals.
- The body at times reacts negatively to the self-massage by having a slight headache or more perspiration or enhanced urination, you need not worry, as with in first 24 hours the reaction will pass off, it is a good and right sign that body is adjusting to the new condition and purify itself.
- Experiment to find out the degree and position and a special massage at which you feel pleasant and joyful during the massage. Let the feelings be the guide as to which self-massage to go ahead with and to stop if you feel pain anywhere or uncomfortable.
- At times it is not safe to self-massage but requires extra care. Find out whether it is appropriate to go ahead for the self-massage from your Doctor. You have to take care of the following points:-
- Joints affected by arthritis: You need not try deep massage whenever joints that are painful or swollen. Deep pressing heats up the area that can become troublesome and spoil and enhance the situation. Self-massage may seem to provide relief initially, but later on, the pain gets aggravated. So, light and gentle massage is the answer and proves beneficial.
- Delicate bones: Bones become weak and fragile with age, it is prudent not to press with a pressure that can fracture them but use gentle and light strokes.
- Contagious diseased skin: Do not self-massage wherever any sign of infectious or contagious skin appears as the self-massage can cause the spread of germs to adjacent areas and other nearby areas.
- Recurrent throbbing headache: Self -massage during a migraine may enhance the signs and symptoms.
- Fresh Surgery: Do not carry out any self-massage to new (recent) surgery as the new conditions will delay the healing process.
- Pregnancy: Remember not to massage in the abdominal area, in the first three months of the confinement, gentle brushing strokes will do.
- Bulging Lymph nodes: Do not massage the lymph joints or junction as the immunity system is liable to get damaged.
- Bitten areas, lumps, and bumps: Do not massage directly over the Cuts, clots, bruises, wounds, bumps, warts, moles, lumps and swellings.
- Fresh injuries: Do not directly massage the injured area until you are confident about the healing.
- Blood clotted area: Remember never to massage the areas of thrombosis. If you must, use very light strokes, the clot might break the blood stream and likely to enhance the pain.
- Medical Condition: During any medical condition such as heart treatment, diabetes or epilepsy, it is necessary to get clearance from your doctor for any messaging.