Right when White House was preparing for the first summit of African leaders, an open letter written by an inmate of Robben Island prison, human rights lawyer Thulani Maseko, to the President Obama, had gone viral. The advocate has appealed to the President for support and help. Noble laureate and a former President Nelson Mandela got imprisoned in this Correctional Institution (Sidvwashini prison) of Swajiland’s Island in Mbabane, for a long period.
Lawyer Thulani Maseko// King Msvati (3rd) // Obama in Robben Island jail
Photo Source: Dainik Bhaskar.
Barack Hussein Obama II had paid a visit to this prison in June, 2013. Maseko, imprisoned for criticizing the Government of Swaziland has written in the following style to Obama:
– I appeal to the President and the people of the United States for supporting me. Cristo Brand, one-time jailor of Nelson Mandela, quotes that you help people who need justice.
– In December 2013, you had in your memorial address said ” raise your voice against injustice” You are an inspiration to me like Mandela. I am alone in this lousy and poorly kept prison. I have no doubt in my mind that you shall, like Mandela; will put up my case and taking my side and support me.
– You are the President of a great nation. You promote and talk on Democracy, Human Rights and against discrimination. Your two speeches from our African soil are inspiring.
– I understand that a democracy can not come to Swaziland or any other nation where Political Parties’ get banned, and the human rights trampled.
– If the democratic governments of the world do not take steps to counter the Royal Family and their unjust, unlawful governing system, there will be an agitation and resistance.