The popcorns available in the market have too much of sodium and calories that increase the weight. Therefore, it is better to have the popcorn readied in the home. As per dieticians the popcorn cooked in minimum oil is the best option for improving the health standard. The iron content in the 100 grams of popcorn is more than the same quantity of egg or spinach thus helping to increase the hemoglobin and prevents being anemic. Having pop daily has the following benefits.
Photo Source: YouTube
- 100 grams of popcorn has 3 mg of iron as compared to 100 gms each of eggs has 1.8 mg, and spinach has 2.7 mg of iron. Munching it improves the RBC.
- Reduces weight: Popcorn is a snack that is fat-free, sugar-free and has cut calories. A cup of popcorn has 31 calories.
- Helps in making the digestion better.The fiber in it along with vitamin B, E and minerals assist in reducing problems of digestion.
- Control of Blood Sugar: The insulin level remains balanced. Thus, the blood sugar gets controlled.
- The antioxidant content in it controls free radicals so that formation of wrinkles, hair fall, weakening of sight are all controlled
- Popcorn is an excellent source of the pantothenic acid ( vitamin B) that helps in the functioning of adrenal glands that reduce the stress level.
- The body’s bone growth and kidney’s functions get regulated by the content of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and iron found in the popcorn.
- The nutrients found are in a good measure. It has more antioxidants as compared to fruits and vegetables as one cup of popcorn has 1.3 grams of dietary fibers thus they get absorbed in the body.
- The presence of polyphenol antioxidants helps in saving one from cancer and heart problems. Heated oil causes to oxidize and damage the delicate polyphenol antioxidants in the popcorn. Therefore it is advisable NOT to use any heated oil to make the popcorn tastier. The oil gets used only after having the popcorn is prepared or readied in the air. A bit of sea salt may also get added to make a better taste – one can obtain a snack that is suitable for “Healthiest way of living.”
Precautions for consuming the popcorn
- As per FDA popcorn readied using the microwave oven in Teflon-like packing is not safe, has been established that plastic coating breaks down and gets mixed with the popcorn – this breaking down into unwanted substances, including perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) that is carcinogenic. FDA is conducting the research on the plastic coating effects.
- The U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has undertaken the study of potential deficiencies in the artificial butter flavoring deployed in microwave popcorn.
- Organic popcorn remains safe for the human consumption. As non-organic popcorn use the fertilizer and pesticides that have the chemicals that damage the people’s health plus GM seeds are considered unsafe.