Production of intestinal gas is natural and a part of normal digestion.
Gas moves in the digestive tract in 4 ways:
- Absorption into blood
- Intestinal bacteria consume it.
One important thing to acknowledge is that gas is of 2 types:
- Upper digestive gas– This is formed because of swallowing air while eating or drinking something. It is passed out of the mouth in the form of a burp. By bringing changes in your chewing and swallowing habits you can trim it.
- Lower digestive gas- It is generated by food fermentation. Here gas is passed out from the anus.
When intestinal gas is formed in excess to get rid of it, it is passed in the form of a fart, burp or belch. No need to be ashamed while discussing about it as everyone does it. However, if done uncontrollably in public it becomes a matter of embarrassment.
Gas itself is not a health issue, but yes it may be an indication of any underlying disease. There are many causes of gastric problems, but the most common cause is H Pylori. Other causes are as follows:
- Spicy food
- Improper chewing
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Swallowing air
- Consuming excess of condiments and sauces.
- Intestinal malfunction
- Bacterial infection
- Improper digestion
- Speaking while eating
- Chewing tobacco
- Chewing gum
- Artificial additives
- Consumption of excessive laxatives.
Symptoms associated with gastric trouble are as follows:
- Sharp abdominal cramps
- Coated tongue
- Bad breath
- Lack of appetite
- Knotted feeling in the abdomen
To get rid of the above-mentioned symptoms and excessive formation of intestinal gas, natural solutions are considered the best. The good news is that we have 8 top home remedies for gas that are simple, effective and easily available in your kitchen.
Top home remedies for Gas that works
- Ginger– Ginger is a traditional home remedy to treat indigestion and bloating of the stomach. It stimulates the secretion of gastric juice and saliva and thus aids digestion. This property of ginger is owed to the compound gingerol present in it. You can make ginger tea for this purpose. Take a cup of boiling water and steep a few slices of ginger in it. After 15 minutes, strain the concoction and drink it. Drink ginger tea 2 to 3 times in a day. The ideal times to have a ginger tea is before having big meals. But you may also have a small cup of ginger tea during the meals. Also add ginger to the cooking.
DIY Home Remedy for Gas
Grind ginger. Mix it with an equal quantity of crushed fennel seeds and ground cardamom. Take a cup of water and add a teaspoon of this mixture to it. Also, add a pinch of asafetida to it. Both asafetida and fennel seeds are known to expel gas. Drink this mixture 2 times in day
- Peppermint tea– Methanol present in the peppermint is known to ease the pain and soothe the stomach churns. Methanol is antispasmodic. It relaxes the abdominal muscles and also soothes the nerves. It keeps the food moving slowly in the digestive tract. It has also proven its efficiency in alleviating gas and bloating of the stomach. You can make an herbal peppermint tea to treat gastric problems. For this, steep a few leaves of the peppermint in a cup of water. After 15 minutes, strain and drink the solution.
- Garlic– Among all home remedies for gas garlic is one of the best options. It is known to reduce the gastric fire and aid digestion. Add garlic to your cooking. You may also chew a clove of garlic after a meal.
DIY home remedy for gas
Take a few cloves of garlic and boil it in the water. Also, add a teaspoon of cumin seeds and black pepper to it. After 15 minutes, remove it from heat and strain the concoction. When cooled down to room temperature, drink it. You can drink this concoction 3 times in a day for the desired results
- Apple cider vinegar– To provide instant relief from indigestion and gas you can use apple cider vinegar. In the case, you do not have apple cider vinegar you can also use white vinegar for this purpose.
Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add it to a glass of warm water. When the solution cools down to the room temperature drink it.
- Black pepper-Black pepper promotes the production of hydrochloric acid. Thus, it aids digestion and heals acidity. Because of its burning taste, it is not possible to take black pepper alone, so you may take it along with jaggery. This will cure the gastric irritation. You may also have it with buttermilk. Below we have mentioned a DIY remedy for gas where black pepper is an important ingredient.
DIY home remedy for gas
Take a ginger powder, crushed coriander seeds, dried and crushed mint leaves and black pepper in equal quantity. Mix all the ingredients. Have a teaspoon of this mixture with water 2 times in a day.
- Caraway seeds- Caraway seeds aid digestion, eases heartburn and treats loss of appetite. It is antispasmodic and stimulates the expulsion of gas from the gastrointestinal tract. To get rid of gastric problems you may drink its tea.
Steep a teaspoon of caraway seed in a cup of water for a few minutes. Strain the solution and drink it before big meals. You may also chew roasted caraway seeds along with rock salt.
- Cinnamon powder- Not only cinnamon soothes the stomach, but also prevent the excessive gas formation. Mix a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of warm water. Mix well and drink it. To enhance the taste you may also add a teaspoon of honey to it. This will provide you quick relief from the symptoms.
- Carom seeds– To treat flatulence, colic due to gas and indigestion, try carom seeds. It is one of the excellent home remedies for gas. You may also add dried ginger powder and rock salt to carom seeds powder. Mix the ingredients and take a teaspoon of it with water.
These are the only natural solution we know to get rid of the gastric problem. If you know some more home remedies for gas do share then with us.