If you have stumbled upon this site it is certain that you are searching home remedies for heartburn.
Heartburn is commonly experienced by the adults. You will hear about 50 percent of Americans complaining about it. This condition is characterized by burning sensation just behind the breastbone. Many times this sensation also creeps up to the throat.
Talking in medical term heartburn may be described as Acid reflux or Gastroesophageal reflux. Here burning is caused because of the splash of acidic contents into the esophagus. The reason behind the splash is that the valve that separates the esophagus and stomach which normally closes after the food content pass into the stomach does not close properly.
Besides burning the other symptoms that accompany of heartburn are coughing, nausea, irritation, and sour taste in the mouth. Acid reflux may also trigger an asthma attack.
The repeated attacks of the acid reflux may also lead to inflammation, scarring and increases the risk of esophageal cancer.
So it is very important to check the frequent bouts of heartburn.
But before you approach for prescription-strength and heavy-duty drugs to get rid of acid reflux try certain home remedies for heartburn.
1. Almonds– Raw almond is effective in treating acid reflux. Being alkaline in nature, it maintains the pH level of the body. This property is owed to its high calcium content. Almonds highly recommended to the patients with GERD as it neutralizes the acids.
Make a habit of chewing 2-3 raw almond after every meal. Also, when you have an acid reflux attack chew almonds.
To all my patients suffering from heartburn, I advise them to keep a handful of almonds in their purse and carry with them wherever they go.
2. Aloe vera juice– The soothing property of aloe Vera reduces the inflammation of the esophageal linings. This reduces the burning.
As aloe vera can also heal the damage caused due to acid reflux thus, it is highly recommended in the cases of severe heartburn.
One more benefit of aloe vera is that it acts as a mild laxative and prevents constipation. If your digestion and bowel movement improves you are half cured.
Mix 2 ounces of aloe Vera juice to a glass of water. Drink this every morning empty stomach.
3. Baking soda– Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is one of the most effective home remedies for heartburn. The pH of baking soda is more than 7. So, it is very effective in neutralizing the stomach acids. This eases burning caused due to acid reflux.
Mix a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it. This will also promote the bowel movement and improve the digestion.
4. Ginger– Ginger is a medicinal herb and is widely used in cooking. To relieve the symptoms of acid reflux ginger acts in two ways. It absorbs the stomach acid and also soothes the nerves that pay their contribution in heartburn. If you suffer from recurrent heartburn do include ginger tea to your daily routine.
Crush ginger and add a teaspoon of grated ginger to a cup of boiling water. Steep it for a few minutes and strain the solution. Drink it 2-3 times in a day.
5. Apple cider vinegar– Among all home remedies for heartburn apple cider vinegar is very popular. It stimulates the muscular sphincter present between the esophagus and stomach to close. In this way, it prevents the splash of acid in esophagus and mouth.
Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Drink it before having meals.
If you do not have apple cider vinegar, then white vinegar will also serve the purpose.
6. Apple– An apple a day keeps the heartburn away. This property is owed to the fiber contents of the apple, which promotes the bowel movement and digestion. Make a habit of eating an apple every day before going to the bed.
7. Chamomile tea– The anti-inflammatory property of chamomile welcomes it in the list of home remedies for heartburn.
Take a cup of boiling water and steep chamomile petals in it. After 15 minutes, strain the concoction. Add a teaspoon honey and drink it. It is more effective in treating your condition if you will drink chamomile tea before sleeping.
8. Slippery elm- Since ages, slippery elm has been used to treat acid reflux. It thickens the mucus lining and protects from the harsh effects of stomach acid.
Take a teaspoon of slippery elm and add it to a cup of boiling water. Drink this after each meal.
9. Milk– One of the simplest home remedies for heartburn is chilled milk. It effectively relaxes the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus. So whenever you suffer from heartburn drink a cup of chilled milk.
10. Bananas– Banana is a great antacid and is an excellent home remedy to treat heartburn. Being high in pH and potassium it neutralizes acidity in no time. Eat ripe banana whenever you are suffering from acid reflux. It also protects the mucous lining of the stomach from the attack of harsh acids.
11. Fennel seeds– Fennel seeds are a very good solution in any case of an upset stomach such as flatulence, nausea, indigestion, bloating, constipation and even heartburn. After every big meal make it a habit of chewing a teaspoon of fennel seeds. This will prevent acid reflux and also improve digestion.
Heartburn is not a hopeless situation. But along with the home remedies for heartburn, you also need to make changes in your lifestyle and diet such as:
- Quit smoking
- If you are obese reduce your weight.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, peppermint, tomato, onion and citrus foods.
- Do not lie down or exercise immediately after eating. Wait for 2 hours.
- Eat small meals and small intervals.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day.
- Get rid of your sedentary habits and increase your physical activity.
If you find this article informational we will be very groovy to hear this from you.