A headache is a common ailment. Almost all of us suffers from it from time to time.
What are the causes of headache
Any argument, mental stress, deadlines, lack of sleep, crying a lot, improper diet, excessive smoking, alcohol overuse, dehydration, any illness, certain diseases and side effect of certain medication. The list of the causes of headache is very long.
A headache is an indication that the body is missing something? Maybe you need a deep breath, some water or change in your eating habits, sleep pattern, and lifestyle. Also, it may be an indication of vitamin deficiency or sensitivity to the food.
What are the types of headache
A headache may be divided into 3 types
- A tension headache– Here the pain is mild to moderate. There is a feeling of a tight band around the head.
- A cluster headache– This type of a headache is limited to a side of the head. It recurs after several week periods.
- A migraine headache– This type of a headache has a varying intensity. It is usually accompanied by sensitivity to light, sound, and nausea.
For the person suffering from a headache, it really doesn’t matter what is the type of the headache. The only thing they want is to get rid of headache as soon as possible.
So, what do you do to relieve a headache? If a headache is bothering we take pain killers and get back to the work. But do you know overuse of painkillers may cause serious health issues.
So why not try some natural home remedies for headache that are totally safe and equally effective.
If you are looking for home remedies for a headache that works fast, then you are on the right page. Read this article till the end and find out how to get rid of headache without painkillers.
Natural home remedies for headache
1. Peppermint or lavender essential oil– Both essential oil is well known for their numbing and cooling effect. The aroma of both these oils is soothing and generates a long-lasting calming effect.
Peppermint oil is known to stimulate the blood flow and also soothes the contractions of the muscles. On the other hand lavender, oil acts as a sedative and mood stabilizer. Both oils are totally safe and effective among all the home remedies for a headache, especially a migraine.
Take a few drops of both peppermint or lavender essential oil. Mix them with some carrier oil such as jojoba oil or almond oil. Rub this solution on your forehead, back of the neck and temples.
2. Ice packs– Cold compress reduces inflammation, which may be a contributing factor for a headache. The best part it that the numbing effect of ice alleviates the pain quickly.
Take an ice cube and wrap it in a cheesecloth. Now apply it to the back of the neck. You may also soak a cheese cloth in an ice cold water. Strain it and place it over your forehead for not more than 2 minutes. Repeat this for 15 minutes and you will find relief in a headache.
3. Chamomile tea- Suffering from a stubborn headache. Why not try Chamomile tea. It is one of the excellent home remedies for headache. This delicious tea will soothe off your stress and relax you.
Steep a chamomile tea bag in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drink it warm. You may also add a teaspoon of honey to enhance its taste.
4. Baking soda bath- The best way to get rid of a headache is to have a detox bath. This will clean off the body toxins and ward off stress.
Add a cup of baking soda to your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes.
You may also have an Epsom salt bath for this purpose. An Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate that is well known to eliminate pain.
5. Ginger– It is an all rounder medicinal herb. Being anti-inflammatory it eases the pain. If you are suffering from a migraine headache then no doubt ginger is the best option for you. Ginger is known to improve digestion so it will also help you to overcome the nauseated feeling that is common during migraine attacks.
Take a few slices of ginger and steep it in a cup of boiling water. Strain it and add a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice to it. Drink this concoction when warm and you will see the result in a few minutes.
6. Mint juice– Methanol present in mint acts as a natural analgesic. Extract mint juice and apply it on your forehead. You may also have a cup of mint and coriander juice.
7. Cinnamon– Cinnamon acts like miraculous remedy among all home remedies for a headache. It is rich in magnesium and has the ability to ease pain. Take a stick of cinnamon and crush it. Add sufficient amount of water to make a paste. Apply this paste to your temples and forehead. Rest for half an hour and then wash it with warm water.
8. Basil leaves– This strong smelling herb has analgesic properties. So why not try it to get rid of headache. You may apply basil leaf oil on your forehead and temples. This will relax the muscles and relieves a headache. Sipping basil leaf tea is also effective. Steep a few leaves of holy basil in a cup of boiling water. Strain it and add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it when warm.
9. Apple cider vinegar- By storing the normal pH of the body apple cider vinegar has proved in soothing pain including nagging headaches. Take a half cup of apple cider vinegar and an equal amount of water. Add a teaspoon of honey to it and drink it.
10. Cayenne pepper- It reduces the acidity and promotes circulation. Capsaicin present in it acts as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic. All these properties make it an ideal home remedy to get rid of headache. Add one-fourth teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of warm water. Also, add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it warm to reduce pain.
As you have acknowledged there are 10 simple and most effective home remedies for headache. So instead of popping painkillers every time better head towards your kitchen and try natural and safe solutions to get rid of headache.