Black pepper is called king of spices. It opens the taste buds in our mouth. It is one of the most beneficial herbs we have on earth. A pinch of black pepper is added to almost every type of recipe which we can imagine.
It is fortunate that this most popular of spices is available throughout the year. Some people think black pepper is indigestible in old age but it is not true. Black pepper comes from the pepper plant, a smooth woody vine that can grow up to thirty three feet in hot and humid tropical climates.
They begin to give small white clustered flowers after three to four years and develop into berries known as peppercorns. The spice we call pepper is produced by Ground peppercorns. We all must be aware of its benefits.
Here are some amazing benefits of Black Pepper:
- Black pepper gives Relief in cough and cold. Black pepper is sometimes added in tonics for cold and cough. Its antibacterial property helps to fight against infections, insect bites etc. Pepper helps to keep your arteries clean. It also gives relief from sinusitis and nasal congestion.
- Black pepper is also good for conditions of hernia, hoarseness and insect bites. It relieves joint pain.
- Black pepper is good for stomach as it increases the hydrochloric acid secretion in stomach and thus, helps digestion. Proper digestion is essential to avoid diarrhea, constipation and colic. Pepper-added diet promotes sweating and urination and helps to prevent formation of intestinal gas.
- Black pepper is a good medicine for skin as it helps to cure Vitiligo, a skin disease that causes some areas of skin to lose its normal pigment and turn white. Piperine contained in pepper stimulates the skin in producing pigment. It also lessens the chances of skin cancer due to excess ultraviolet radiation.
- Black pepper is a good treatment for respiratory conditions like asthma, cough etc.
- Black pepper helps in healing cuts as it kill germs. If anytime you have a minor cut, sprinkle Black Pepper on it. It will help stop the bleeding. It has antibacterial properties which promotes healing and kill germs.
- Black pepper works as good antioxidant which is good for both health and skin. An antioxidant, like pepper, can prevent or repair the damage caused by the free radicals and thus helps to prevent cancer, cardiovascular diseases and liver problems.
- Black pepper helps to lose weight as the outer layer of peppercorn assists in the breakdown of fat cells. Hence, peppery foods help you decrease weight.
- Black pepper enhances bio-availability by transporting the benefits of other herbs to different parts of body.
- Black pepper is used to treat problems like tooth decay and toothache and eye problems.
- Black pepper helps in anorexia. For people who suffer from mild Anorexia, Black Pepper can also help them regain their appetite because it stimulates their taste buds.
Storage of Black Pepper
Best thing with black peppers is it is available for the whole year. Since, sometimes it may contain adulterated spicy powders; from the store buy whole peppercorns instead of pepper powder.
The peppercorns should be wholesome, heavy, round and compact. Peppercorns can be stored at room temperature for many years and can be milled using hand mill as and when required.
It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a month or so. Powdered pepper should be stored in the refrigerator in airtight containers. Like this you can use black pepper for a very long time.