Clinical studies have shown that traditionally Gooseberry /Amla possesses antipyretic, analgesic, anti-tussive, anti-atherogenic, adaptogenic, cardio-protective, gastro-protective, antianemia, and anti-hypercholesterolemia. In it is found healing most of the diseases, since it is anti-diarrheal, anti-atherosclerotic, hepatoprotective and has neuroprotective traits.
It is the fruit of a small to a medium-sized deciduous tree native to India. The berries are greenish-yellow with a fibrous inner texture. Harvested in autumn by hand, they have a sour, bitter, and astringent taste.
As per Ayurveda for Amla/Gooseberry, treatable medical conditions have a big range of the following diseases. Diabetes, Hypersensitivity, Ocular, Gastrointestinal, Dermatologic, Renal, Hepatic, Hematologic, and Metabolic disturbance. There are many uses of the listed nutrients, but we have listed a few of their top interests.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C has multiple benefits. It is beneficial for cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Anemia, Immune system, heart, Anemia, etc. You get great benefits of Vitamin C as there are blending of other antioxidants that play a significant role in improving its strength.
- Anthocyanins: Anthocyanins is beneficial for inflammation, cardiovascular illness, cancer, diabetes, and other health problems.
- Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5): Studies have found that Pantothenic acid with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) helps to heal injury quickly.
- Folates: Folates provide a protection layer from environmentally unsafe UV rays from different sources. It is beneficial in the prevention of Skin cancer.
- Thiamin (vitamin B-1): Thiamin is helpful against sugar or diabetes.
- Emblicanin: Emblicanin present in amla/gooseberry protect from oxidative stress and inflammation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Punigluconin & Pedunculagin: They protect the body from oxidative stress and Type 2 diabetes.
Using Amla with a low dose has no side-effects. It lowers the bad cholesterol and high triglycerides from the danger zone to the desired level. It is available easily at a far less price than the medicines of all other systems.
The ample quantity of vitamin C and other nutrients make it a superfood. It is used in many ways for its well-known health benefits. Technically known as Emblica Officinalis, amla is found mostly in India and tropical South East Asia and other tropical areas of the world.
The taste might not appeal right away, but do not give it up at once because the health benefits of Indian gooseberry are much more than one can imagine. Also, there are plenty of ways by which one can serve the fruit in the forms of yummy chutneys, pickles, jams, marmalade, and juices.
Gooseberry, also known as Amla is highly nutritional food. It is surprising or challenging to believe the unusual and miraculous benefits it has. Amla is one of the most nourishing food due to its splendid nutrient content, beneficial to health. It is a definite source of antioxidants, iron, vitamin A, C, fiber, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.
It is effective in preventing tumors, improves hair luster and helps for younger-looking skin. Gooseberries have plenty of health benefits that have been proven. Many types of researches have completed finding its efficacy on plenty of health-related complications. Gooseberries have many varieties, but the healthiest and most discussed is the Indian Gooseberry.
It may seem to be ordinary fruit, but replete with numerous radical antioxidants that have been found to benefits in many ways. So better to know the fruit in detail as discussed underneath.
Health benefits of Gooseberry
If one takes the of Gooseberry juice along with honey, it becomes highly tasty. The juice is very well known for improving eyesight, redness in eyes, watery or itching eyes, so much so that even deficient vision gets restored. Gooseberry or Amla proves great for the vision. Vitamin A in Amla plays an important role in preventing eye health problems. It stifles the risk and controls cataract or myopia. It is excellent to prevent loss of eye vision. The vigorous antioxidants activity of gooseberries protects the eyes from free radicals by scavenging them.
Amla protects eyes’ from oxidative stress. So that it is effective in preventing the loss of eye vision or macular degeneration. Nearsightedness or myopia gets treated by regularly taking the fruit. The amla ensures that eyesight never weakens or deteriorates. Gooseberry stands tall in the list of high antioxidants ingredients compared to all other berries like goji berry, blueberry, pomegranate seeds, and whortleberries.
Nutritional Benefits of Gooseberry.
Amla or Gooseberry possesses potent benefits against free radicals that are responsible for multiple degenerative diseases.
Gooseberry /Amla is a marvelous source of vitamins and especially vitamin ‘C’. It contains certain elements which in rare cases, help to prevent infections. According to a study, it got established that gooseberries help to prevent bladder infections, and also it got ascertained that gooseberries contain specific anti-cancer properties.
Hereunder you will find various methods amla can be prepared in various ways and helps in maintaining good health.
- Dried Gooseberry Or Amla powder Take at night prior retiring to bed, dried Gooseberry Or Amla powder in hot water. It will ensure your stomach cleaned in the morning routine.
- Add grated amla: Add to green vegetable or Dal(pulse) to enhance the taste.
- Amla betel nut: Put the fresh gooseberry or amla in small pieces by adding black salt, black pepper, ground cumin, parsley, and sugar and dry them in the sun for 4-5 days. Amla betel nut is ready.
- The batter of pakoda: Add small pieces of Gooseberry in the batter of pakoda, on frying the taste will get enhanced.
- Mix in flour, grated amla, ginger, garlic, salt, green chilly, green Coriander, and make Paratha.
- Drink a glass of water with added 2 spoons of gooseberry juice plus two spoons of honey. It is an energy-boosting tonic.
- Amla Jam: Grind the boiled amlas after removing the seeds. Cook in a vessel with jaggery and use it as a jam.
- Oil of Amla: Heat 100 grams of coconut oil. Add in 100 grams of grated amla. After evaporation of water use it as Oil of amla.
- Gooseberry Or Amla Chutney: Add jaggery to grated gooseberry and cook it to prepare tasty chutney. It is to be noted, however, that we make non-sweet chutneys from the fresh fruit; these are totally different from the more jam-like products.
21 Health Benefits of Amla (Gooseberry)
1. Abundant Source of Vitamin C: Amla is the most significant eco-friendly source of vitamin C, so instead of taking vitamin C supplements and pills, try dried amla. The body quickly absorbs it without causing any side effects or damage provided it is taken in moderation.
Vitamin C has multiple benefits. It is beneficial for cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Anemia Immune system, heart, Anemia, etc. You get great benefits from Vitamin C for health. For Vitamin C: there are blending of other antioxidants that play a significant role in improving its strength.
2. Cures Cold and Sore Throat: Amla or gooseberry is of great help in treating sore through Vitamin C. Just mix 2 tsp of amla powder in 2 tsp honey and have it 3 to 4 times in a day.
3. Beneficial in Arthritis Gooseberry has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in reducing joint pain and swelling that happens due to osteoarthritis. For this, one can take raw amla or juice daily.
4.Reduces Constipation & Manages proper bowel movement
Constipation is due to the weak digestive arrangement. A healthy diet in texture can improve digestion by providing roughage. Due to improvements in digestion, problems like hemorrhoids system can be stopped.
5. Controls Fat: Gooseberry is a rich origin of fiber that makes digestion better. A low fiber diet leads to many health problems. Taking gooseberry powder daily basis helps in reducing constipation and improves digestion. It’s a natural laxative and rich in fibers, so it remains as a significant help in food digestion related problems.
Gooseberry is also known to control obesity. It enhances the protein level in the body, which, in turn, reduces the unnecessary fat. It brings down the total cholesterol level. Hence, the risk of a heart attack gets diminished.
6. Controls Diabetes: Amla is also very recommended highly for people with diabetes. Consume amla with either turmeric powder or honey daily to cure diabetes. According to studies, it is that Gooseberry/Amla has a dramatic result in reducing blood sugar in patients.
Consuming just a certain three-quarter of tsp of Amla powder saw a drop of blood sugar level from a high 130-140 to the desired zone to 65-75 in only 21 days. While diabetes medicines demonstrate far less effective than Amla / Gooseberry.
7. Mouth Ulcers Management: Mouth ulcers develop for many reasons, such as stomach upset due to indigestion, infection, etc. Consuming Amla juice is the most natural solution for treating mouth ulcers. It is best to have amla juice in water and gargle twice a day.
8. Regulates Acidity: Regular consumption of Indian gooseberry is perfect for your stomach. It helps treat gastritis or burn sensation in the abdomen. Additionally, taken in curing peptic ulcers and piles. One can have amla with pure ghee daily to cure gastritis.
9. Purifies Blood and improves skin health: Amla is an excellent antioxidant and blood cleaner. It filters out toxins from the body and aids one on so many levels that one won’t even notice. Regular consumption helps enhances the hemoglobin, which is in red blood cells.
Gooseberry is bountiful in antioxidants, iron, calcium, anthocyanin, flavonoids, potassium, etc. that are required for heart health.
Gooseberry control and cut down the bad cholesterol, thus minimize the formation of blockage that will restrict blood course in the direction of the heart arteries.
The antioxidants value of 1 tsp 0f Amla is 782 units that make it the most vibrant fruit. Antioxidants give the fruit the ability to fight free radicals, the act of returning to normal of flawed DNA cells, and plenty extra. It upgrades nerve health; thus, it upholds the good circulation of blood. Antioxidants protect nerve cell destruction by free radicals.
10. Improve skin health: Eating it every day early in the morning improves skin health and gives a great glow to the skin. Since it contains plenty of quantity of antioxidants, it shields skin damage from UV rays. Having Vitamin C, Iron, folic acid, and other nutrients, amla proves beneficial in the production of blood cells. Due to an increase in healthy blood cells, skin receives more oxygen which directly improves skin health
11. Immunity Booster: Amla works as an immunity booster of the body. Because of an abundance of vitamin C, it enhances the immune system of the body opposing infections and diseases. Gooseberry is the most abundant source of Vitamin C, which is responsible for further immunity. Vitamin C plays an essential role in improving protection to battle against free radicals. With increased inbuilt security, the system body is resistant against common diseases like flu, cough, and also avert epidemic.
12. Improves Metabolism: Indian gooseberry is a miraculous food for fitness enthusiasts. It intensifies the body metabolism. The better metabolism one will have, the faster that person lose weight. So, if one wants to discard those extra pounds, ensure to take amla in the daily diet, and one will note the output.
Aging is natural with an increase in age. Skin starts to depict signs of aging at a very early age. The first signs of aging are due to many symptoms of improper diet, pollution, stress, and other reasons.
You counteract the problem of aging due to its high antioxidant inbuilt stuff. It may be noted that the ORAC oxidative Radiance Activity capacity of 3387 micromoles per 100 g of amla is known for quite some time. The aging process gets enhanced and worsened by the free radicals by damaging the healthy cells and also the good and healthy skin. Here the antioxidants slow down the aging process.
13. Cures Sleeplessness or Insomnia: If one has trouble in having a precious sleep or has an uncertain sleep cycle, amla is just what one needs. Have fresh gooseberry juice in one’s diet for a good and deep sleep. Amla juice can easily be mixed with coarse nutmeg powder to treat many sleep problems.
14. Toughens the Bones: Indian gooseberry Toughens the bones not only because of the calcium quantity but also because of its property to reduce the osteoclasts. Osteoclasts are the building blocks cells contribute to wear down and to crack of the cartilage and bones.
15. Cancer Prevention: Consume amla moderately, as it helps in freeing us from the horrible risk of cancer. Gooseberry is very rich in its power of antioxidants. Especially superoxide dismutase, which guards the body against free radicals. Regular use of gooseberry can also safeguard you against severe problems like cancer.
Gooseberry is a vibrant point of supply of antioxidants, because of its high oxidative radiance Capacity, it is useful to avoid DNA cell harm from the effect of critical free radicals. It guards against injury to cells because of oxidative stress.
It is noteworthy that Amla / Gooseberry that it doesn’t lose its nutrients value even in powdered form.
Right at the start, it slows down the increase of cancer cells, and then later, as it starts killing them. After a total gradual decrease, it also begins to destroy the cancer cells.
Also, it is crucial to note that it doesn’t harm any of the healthy cells. It proves helpful in preventing and protecting from cancer and is useful in preventing the growth and spread of cancer cells. It is beneficial to curb lump cell progress. So, why not include it in your day to day diet to fight cancer before it spreads.
“Avoidance is better than to Care.”. This knowledge should be shared with your near and dear ones.
16. Secures against Heart Diseases: Amla is very beneficial for the heart. It strengthens heart muscles so that the heart can pump blood more efficiently. It also controls high cholesterol levels, thereby bringing down the chances of a heart attack. Gooseberry control and cut down the bad cholesterol, thus minimize the formation of blockage that will restrict blood course in the direction of the heart. Also, it plays a major in strengthening the weakened heart’s tissues.
It upgrades nerve health; thus, it upholds the right circulation of blood. Antioxidants protect nerve cell destruction by free radicals.
The antioxidants value of 1 tsp 0f Amla is 782 units that make it the most vibrant fruit. Antioxidants give the fruit the ability to fight free radicals, the act of returning to normal of flawed DNA cells, and plenty extra.
It upgrades nerve health; thus, it upholds the right circulation of blood. Antioxidants protect nerve cell destruction by free radicals. Along with antioxidants, potassium plays a critical role in strengthening the nervous system. It also balances the fluid and electrolyte levels.
With the healthy nervous system, good cholesterol and healthy heart muscle gooseberry prove the best food for heart health.
17. Reduces the adverse effects of tobacco Smoking: Indian gooseberry works in saving the liver. Experiments have shown that regular intake of amla reduces the ill effects of smoking in the lungs. Since it’s an excellent antioxidant, it fights off the free radicals generated from the cigarette smoke.
18. Prevents Jaundice and Scurvy: Regular intake of amla rule out the setting in scurvy and jaundice. For this, one must daily have one glass of Indian gooseberry juice on an empty stomach.
19. Reduces the Risk of Stone Formation: Amla also works to reduce the risk of stone formation in the gall bladder. Stones get formed because of excessive cholesterol, and Indian gooseberry minimizes the tendency of changing cholesterol into bile acid found in the liver.
20. Cooling Properties: Usually, people consider that amla is useful only in winters and Very few people know that Indian gooseberry contains at least 20 times more vitamin C than an average orange. Vitamin C improves tannins that protect heat and light. Amla keeps one’s body and skin cool in summers by sorting the weather.
21. HairGooseberry / Amla oil: Amla oil is extensively used to enhance hair health. It is a rich fount of iron and other nutrients that increase the growth of hair. It is also useful to raise hair coloration and also prevents hair loss.
A Few Side Effects Of Indian Gooseberry Can Make You Think Twice Prior to Consuming.
Indian Gooseberry (also called Amla) has been widely used in Ayurvedic medicine since the time of well-known physician and surgeon Sushruta. We will learn that excess intake of the Indian Gooseberry can have specific harmful effects.
A lot of research is required to establish these side effects. However, one must know what can happen if one consumes too many of these gooseberries at once.
The Side Effects Of Amla
Known vitamin C content in Amla can cause problems if used in excess. The materials cause sourness and other problems to belly acid. The excessive fiber in the fruit may also cause constipation if you eat too many of them.
1. May Cause Acidity
Indian Gooseberry is the second most abundant eco-friendly a single piece of Amla has the content of Vitamin C up to 600 to 700 mg. It is established that 0ver 2000 mg in one intake can result in a digestive emergency.
Experts suggest that too much intake of vitamin C in a single intake is likely to lead to acid backflow and other forms of gastrointestinal upset. These effects are more likely to occur in individuals with weak disposition conditions.
Excess intake of vitamin C may also result in repeated loose motions and dizziness.
If you experience symptoms of the upset of feelings, there is the specific home antidote to tackle it. The easiest of those is using raising agents. Heartburn can be averted by taking a spoon of the baking soda in a glass of water.
2. Excessive Amla May Cause adverse Constipation
More has to be done to ascertain that excessive intake of Amla resulting in more fiber can be troublesome.
Excess fiber can also have adverse results because of the passing of excessive fiber through the colon as microbial leading to a surge of microbial activeness. It leads to abdominal cramps and bloating. the stool may harden causing pain in the belly. A simple solution is to have one spoon of baking soda in a glass of water. A doctor’s visit should be followed if stools do not pass in a short time.
3. Diabetics to remain cautious if the sugar falls too low
Amla is a good way to lower the sugar level and in case it falls too low, the intake of amla should be pretty low so that overreaction does not take place. This reaction is only very few people. Remain in close touch with your doctor for any detrimental reaction. Moderation is the answer to remain healthy and maintain your health. It is suggested to take in all a single amla each day or 4 grams of amla powder or 10 to 20 ml of Amla Juice. However, remain abreast of the doctor for any excessive reaction.
4. Other Side effects: Liver Damage because of antioxidants and its hepatoprotective activity due to elevated levels of liver enzyme serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT. Moderation is the key and to remain in close touch with Ved acharya or doctor.
Please let us know your experience or side effects of Indian gooseberry or amla.