Let us accept the fact- no matter how clean we try to keep our pets they become host to fleas. Fleas are tiny, flat-bodied, creepy and wingless insects that usually live on rabbits, cats, and dogs. Fleas have black colored droppings that can be found on the skin of your infested pets. The worst part is that fleas love to hide behind carpets and bedding and in no time they infest your whole house.
Fleas attack your pets and cause terrible itching that leads to uncontrollable scratching, licking skin, restlessness, hair loss and inflammation. They also cause loss of muscle, lethargy, and pale gums. Seeing your pets in such a miserable condition is really painful. But with certain home remedies for fleas, you can ease your pet’s suffering and get rid of fleas soon.
How to find out your pets have fleas
Make your pet stand on a moistened white colored bath towel or paper towel. Brush your pet. If you see little specks falling on the towel that soon turns brown or red in color. This confirms your pet has fleas.
Home remedies for fleas
1. Dishwashing liquid– If in the case your house is badly infected with fleas the easiest way to get rid of them is to set a flea trap.
- Things required:
- Dishwashing liquid
- Floating candles
- Warm water
What to do
Take a few bowls and fill them with warm water up to the brim. Add a good amount of dishwashing liquid to it. Place the bowls in the middle of the rooms on the floor in the night. Float a candle in each bowl. If you have simple candles and are unable to place them in the bowl to keep them near the bowl or use plates instead of the bowls.
Fleas get attracted towards the candle light and will jump towards the light. They will then fall into the bowl or plate and due to the viscosity of dish washing soap they will be trapped and drowned. In the morning dispose dead fleas. Repeat this 2-3 day.
* Do take caution and do not allow pets or children to roam freely until candle the extinguishes.
*Also bathe your pets with dishwashing liquid to kill fleas on their body.
2. Natural flea repellent– You can make a flea repellent spray and use it on your pet before taking them outside. This will keep fleas at bay.
- Rosemary- 2 sprigs
- Garden sage- 1 sprig
- Filtered water- 1 quart
What to do:
Cut a lemon into 2 halves. Place rosemary, lemon halves, and sage in a bowl. Boil water and add to the bowl. Steep the ingredients for a night. Strain the liquid in the morning and pour it into the spray bottle.
Your flea repellent sprays used by ready to be used.
3. Apple cider vinegar– If the skin of your pet is less acidic than fleas will find them inhospitable. This can be very successfully achieved by apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar- 6 OZ
- Water-4 OZ
- Sea salt- one-fourth teaspoon
What to do:
Take all the ingredients and mix them. Spray the mixture on your pets. Make sure to avoid eyes, mouth, and open wounds or it may cause irritation.
4. Citronella essential oil– This is one of the most traditional home remedies for fleas. Citronella oil is a volatile oil and is very safe to be used on the pets. It is effective in getting rid of flies, mosquitoes, ticks and even fleas.
You can make a DIY home remedy to get rid of fleas where citronella oil is a very important ingredient.
- Citronella oil
- Tea tree oil
- Lemongrass oil
- Geranium oil
- Warm water
What to do
Add 20 drops of citronella essential oil, 20 drops of tea tree oil, 10 drops of lemongrass oil and 5 drops of geranium oil in a gallon of water.
Vacuum your house. Empty vacuum bag in outside garbage bin. Now mop the house with the essential oil solution you have prepared. Repeat this every day for a few days. This is followed by mopping the floors with the essential oil solution once a week.
5. Boric acid– Boric acid acts as a natural insecticide. Sprinkle boric acid all over the floor and furniture including carpet. Fleas will die and their larvae will get dehydrated and dry off. This is followed by vacuuming entire house.
6. Horse apples– Horse apple is known to repel insects. This makes it one of the effective home remedies for fleas.
What to do
Cut horse apple into 2 halves. Keep its pieces all around the house, especially at the points of entry. It will repel all types of insects, including fleas. Horse apple are effective until they dry out completely.
To keep your pets happy and itch free try any of the above-mentioned home remedies for fleas. These natural methods will take your little effort and time, but they are 100 times better than chemical loaded toxic products available in the market to get rid of fleas.
Preventive measures to protect your home from fleas
- Once or twice in a year, steam clean the carpets.
- Vacuum the carpets, furnitures and other areas once in a week and empty the vacuum bags in the outside garbage bin.
- During flea season make sure to spread diatomaceous earth all around the house and then after 48 hours vacuum whole house. Wear a mask while doing this as it may irritate your lungs.
- Feed your pet with unprocessed proteins, whole foods and foods rich in vitamins such as probiotics, organ meat, oily fish, eggs, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, poultry, flaxseeds, hemp, and mackerel. If your pet is healthy fleas will better decide to leave it alone.
- Wash the bedding of your pet once in a week and if you make it sleep with you then wash your bedding too once in a week.
- Keep your pets clean. During the flea attack, wash them with castile soap and wipe them with apple cider vinegar. Also comb their fur and coat from top to tail, belly, and legs.