Nausea is an upsetting and uneasy sensation in the upper stomach with an urge to vomit. But nausea may or may end up in vomiting. There are many causes of nausea such as motion sickness, morning sickness in pregnant women, stomach infection or a side effect of certain medicines.
A heart attack, concussion, chemotherapy, cancer and certain other types of diseases may also trigger nausea. Many a time nausea is psychological or an indication by the body that food that was eaten was not appropriate. In some cases, nausea may be debilitating and prolonged whereas in some cases it is short lived.
The common symptoms associated with nausea are:
- Pukish feeling
- Dry heaves
- Stomach pain
Almost all of us are familiar and has been harassed from time to time by this queasy, sick and nauseated feeling. Whosoever suffers from nausea searches for a quick solution to get rid of it as soon as possible. But only a few of us know that there are natural solutions already available in our kitchen shelf that are enough to get rid of nausea. Let us look at top home remedies for nausea that works.
11 Best Home Remedies for Nausea
1. Ginger- The most popular among all the home remedies for nausea is ginger. Ginger is known to promote the secretion of digestive enzymes and neutralize the stomach acid. Also, it contains phenols that relax the muscles of the stomach. This, in turn, relieves nausea. If you are suffering from morning sickness which is common during pregnancy, or nausea the following chemotherapy you will find ginger very effective.
Either chew ginger or make a ginger tea. To make ginger tea grind ginger and put it in a cup of boiling water. Steep it for a few minutes and then strain it. Add a teaspoon of honey to it and drink the concoction.
*Ginger is not recommended for children below 2 years of age.
2. Apple cider vinegar- To neutralize your upset stomach, try acidic apple cider vinegar. It is very strong, so you need to dilute it with water. Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water. Also, add a teaspoon of honey to the solution and drink it.
3. Lemon– Another effective home remedy that has been used since ages to get rid of nausea is a lemon. If you are suffering from nausea due to upset stomach, flu, heartburn or bloating of the stomach lemon will prove you excellent among all home remedies for nausea.
Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water and drink it or cut lemon into two pieces and sniff it to relieve nausea. If you suffer from motion sickness then do carry lemon with you while traveling.
4. Peppermint– Another traditional home remedy that relieves nausea tremendously is peppermint. Peppermint contains methanol that is a natural analgesic. It keeps stomach problems at bay and also alleviates nausea. Drink a cup of peppermint tea, chew peppermint leaves or sniff the peppermint extract and you will find relief in your symptoms.
5. Cardamom– Being an effective stimulant that produces calming sensation cardamom can be used to get rid of nausea fast. It is also very effective in the case of vomiting. It is a light and aromatic spice that is a close relative of ginger. You may make a remedy with the help a few home remedies for nausea where cardamom is an important ingredient.
DIY Home Remedies to get rid of Nausea
Take basil leaves, cardamom, ginger and aniseeds in equal quantity. Aniseeds have carminative property and basil leaves in antibacterial. Add all the ingredients to a glass of water and boil it. When the color of the water changes removes it from the heat. Strain and cool the solution. Drink the solution 2-3 times in a day.
6. Cloves– Clove is an aromatic spice that also possesses anesthetic and calming properties. It numbs the wall of the digestive tract and prevents the vomiting reflex and nausea. You may drink clove tea when nauseated. To make it more effective add honey to it.
7. Cool compresses– Yes, even applying cold compress on the back of your neck is very effective in treating nausea. For this, you may use frozen peas or ice cubes wrapped in a cheesecloth. Try this is and you will be amazed with the results.
8. Chamomile tea– If nausea is due to psychological cause or upset stomach, try chamomile tea. It has tranquilizing effect and is very beneficial in relieving stress and anxiety. Also, it relaxes the muscles of the stomach and reduces cramps and contractions. Drink chamomile tea whenever you are nauseated. For this take dry chamomile flowers and put them in a cup of steaming water. Let it steep for a few minutes. Strain the concoction and drink it 2 times in a day.
9. Curry leaves– According to Ayurveda the curry leaves have carminative properties and also acts as a mild laxative. It helps the stomach to eliminate the unwanted and toxic waste. Thus, it is a very appropriate home remedy to get rid of nausea, indigestion, and morning sickness.
Crush curry leaves to extract its juice. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey to 1 teaspoon of curry extract. Drink it when you feel nauseated and you will see the difference in a few minutes.
10. Cumin seeds– Cumin seeds have the property to promote the secretion of digestive juices and assimilation of the body nutrients. This property, thus, eases nausea and vomiting. Chew a teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds and drink a glass of water. This will provide a quick relief from the symptoms of nausea.
11. Cinnamon powder– Catechins is a chemical that is found in cinnamon and is known to ease nausea, soothe stomach irritation and treat indigestion. Take a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and boil it in a cup of water. After 10 minutes, strain the solution and sip it.
Note: *Pregnant women should not be given cinnamon.
So next time if you suffer from nausea do not rush to pharmaceutical shops to buy conventional medicines. Better try above-mentioned home remedies for nausea. But if you do not find any relief or if nausea is prolonged it may cause electrolyte imbalance. In such cases do consult your doctor immediately.