Yeast infection or thrush is mainly considered a female issue. It’s true that candidiasis is more common in females, but men are not spared either.
Penile yeast infection or thrush in men is also termed as balanitis or balanitis thrush. It affects 30 to 35 percent males every year and is embarrassing and uncomfortable.
What Are The Signs Of Yeast Infection In Men
- The first symptoms of balanitis is a redness of glans penis
- In some cases, the rash may appear as shiny white patches on the glans
- The skin of the penis is soft, and under the folds of skin or foreskin, there may be white coloured, peeling and thick substance.
Other symptoms include:
- Burning, irritation and itching of the glans penis.
- Pain and problem while pulling foreskin back.
- Pain during sex
- Unpleasant smell
- Pain while passing urine
- The infection may also spread to the groin area, the skin between anus and penis or between fingers and may, cause itchy and painful rashes.
*However, these symptoms are not just signs of yeast infection in men but may also indicate sexually transmitted diseases. Do not ignore the symptoms and meet a primary care doctor as soon as possible.
What Causes Yeast Infection In Men
Candida is a fungus that in small amount is present in our digestive tract, mouth or any other part of the body that is moist such as female vagina or skin. Under normal circumstances the fungus is harmless. The overgrowth of candida results in yeast infection. In males, it can affect the tip of the penis leading to inflammation.
Men at the risk of balanitis are:
- Those having diabetes
- Who have been taking antibiotics for long
- Have a weak immune system such as HIV patients
- Lack of hygiene
- Those who are on oral or topical corticosteroids
- Who wear tight underclothes
- Having unsafe sex with a partner having thrush infection
- Wear dirty clothes for long
- Vigorous scrubbing or rubbing genitals or using perfumed shower gels and soaps on groin areas
- Have fungal infections such as athlete’s foot or jock itch.
*Circumcised men are less at the risk of developing thrush in men.
How Signs Of Yeast Infection In Men Treated
Your doctor will prescribe you topical antifungal creams. If there is itching and inflammation corticosteroid creams will be recommended. In case symptoms do not get better even after two weeks oral fluconazole tablet is given.
*Do not start treatment on your own. Consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
* If you have diabetes your health provider will prescribe medications to control blood sugar level.
How To Prevent Thrush In men
- The key to avoiding candida infection in men is to maintain personal hygiene.
- Keep penis clean and dry
- Do not use perfumed soaps or shower gels on genital
- Always practices safe sex and use condoms.
- Avoid wearing tight under underwear. Wear loose cotton underpants.
- Eat a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins to boost body immunity. Supplement your diet with probiotics and fermented foods.
- Drink lots of water.
In case of any related queries do add your question to the comment section below.