A dental emergency is a term loosely used for the teeth and the gums having a serious problem. The next step on dental emergency is to get treatment from an expert clinician.
Usually, there is pain or sign of uneasiness. There may not be a pain as an indication. Pain can arise from the tooth, surrounding gums or can have the feeling of starting in the teeth. Depending on the type of pain felt an accomplished dentist can decide the presumable problem and can attend the issue as each tissue type gives various messages in a dental crisis.
Some emergencies occur due to any of the cause that requires expert handling for dental restoration, a cracked tooth, viral infection or fungal or bacterial contamination. One should know what action to take if any of the following dental emergency occurs. In a timely action, one will save the tooth. Any dental accident like damage to the teeth or gums can be probably serious and should not get overlooked. Ignoring a dental difficulty can enhance the risk of permanent loss as well as the need for more extensive and costly surgery afterward.
- Pain in the tooth: First of all use warm water and rinse your mouth properly. Use the floss or the interdental brush to remove any stuck food in teeth. Depending on the severity of the dental emergency the action needs attention. The knocked out tooth should be kept in its socket ensuring that it does not touch the root. Keep it there and wet it with your salvia. Maintain the tooth between the cheek and the gum, pour half mouthful of milk, or use the preservative having the seal of ADA ( American Dental Association) or any other seal of acceptance.
- Do not use aspirin or other pain killers as it can burn the tissue inside. As soon as possible reach your dentist for the expert care.
- In the case of chipped or cracked tooth, clean your mouth with tepid water, ensure the mouth is clean. Put a piece of gauze for about ten minutes or until the bleeding stops. From outside keep cold compress to keep any swelling down.
- On accidental biting off your tongue or the lip ensure the mouth remains clean and then put cold compress.
Other Difficulties Caused due to teeth:
- Tooth fallen out due to any reason has the highest chances of being saved when seen by the dentist and reverted to their socket within 1 hour of being knocked out.
- Displaced tooth. See a dentist immediately. A cold compress from outside is the best course until reaching the dentist
- Missing filling. As a short measure, put a piece of sugarless gum into the cavity (as sugar-filled gum will hurt). A call to the dentist is required at the earliest.
- Dropped crown. If the crown falls off, take it along to see the dentist at the earliest. Use a cotton swab soaked in clove oil. It will sooth the surrounding. Try and slip the crown in its position and as someone to assist you by using denture adhesive or toothpaste.Anything that gets stuck in the teeth and becomes painful, the safest action is to floss and remove the offending stuff, do not use aspirin on the aching tooth, or use any sharp-edged implements on the gums or tissues.