Diabetes, in simple words, is described as a metabolic disorder characterized by hyperglycemia in which the level of blood glucose in the patient remains more than normal (70-120mg/dl) over a prolonged period. People who have diabetes underestimate this metabolic disorder and rely only on medicines to maintain normal blood sugar level. However, you need to understand that the management of diabetes also requires a change in your lifestyle, healthy balanced diet, and regular exercise along with medications. In addition, several home remedies for diabetes are also found to be adequate to keep the blood sugar level under check.
What Is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder where the body is either unable to use insulin effectively or make enough insulin. Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas gland and is essential for the metabolism of carbohydrates inside the body. If the secretion of insulin from the pancreas is dropped, it results in elevated Blood sugar levels.
Diabetes is Primarily of Two Types
- Type 1 diabetes – Type 1 diabetes primarily affects people below 20 years of age but may occur at any age. It is an autoimmune disease where the Immune system attacks the cells of the pancreas that produce insulin. Thus, the body is unable to produce insulin partially or wholly.
- Type 2 diabetes – It is a common type of diabetes where the body cannot use or make insulin and becomes resistant to insulin leading to sugar build-up in the blood. Type 2 diabetes can occur at any age, but commonly middle-aged, elderly, or young people who are overweight or obese are affected.
What Is Normal Blood Glucose Level?
The normal blood glucose level is 70-99 mg/dl. Individuals with diabetes have fasting blood glucose levels higher than 126 mg/dl. If the fasting blood glucose level is anywhere between 100-125 mg/dl, it is referred to as prediabetes or borderline diabetes.
Both Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are chronic conditions, whereas prediabetes can be reversed through lifestyle changes and dietary changes.
What Are The Symptoms Of Diabetes?
The symptoms of diabetes include:
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Extreme hunger
- Unexplained weight loss
- Weight gain in type 2 diabetes
- Recurrent vaginal, skin, urine infection
- Blurred vision
- Slow healing of wounds and sores.
Diabetes is a lifelong health condition that affects the insulin and blood sugar levels in the body. Suppose uncontrolled it leads to certain complications.
Complications Of Uncontrolled Diabetes
Uncontrolled and persistent diabetes leads to long-term complications such as kidney failure, hypertension, loss of vision, heart attack, and stroke. Chronic hyperglycemia alters the metabolic profile in the patient. It causes dysfunction of the immune system. The immune system in diabetic subjects fails to control the spread of invading pathogens, and they become more susceptible to opportunistic infections. In addition, if a diabetes patient is injured, it lead to gangrene, and amputation is needed in severe conditions. There is also a potential risk in operating the patient with uncontrolled hyperglycemia as it carries the risk of sepsis that can lead to death.
What Is The Treatment Of Diabetes?
The treatment of diabetes involves a close monitor of the blood sugar level and control hyperglycemia through proper medication, diet, and active lifestyle. For an appropriate diabetes treatment plan, consult your healthcare provider. In addition, there are home remedies for diabetes to lower blood sugar levels naturally.
Home Remedies For Diabetes
- Periwinkle flower or Sadabahar – The periwinkle medicinal plant is a boon for type -2 diabetic patients. Research shows that Sadabahar flowers control blood sugar levels and helps in the excretion of insulin in the body. Chew a few fresh flowers from the periwinkle plant. Alternatively, boil a handful of Sadabahar flowers in a cup of water. Strain and drink the concoction, empty stomach.
- Giloy leaves – The Giloy leaves are quite effective in controlling hyperglycemia and manages the symptom of diabetes. It is rich in antioxidants, boosts body immunity, and fights free radical damage. Add a teaspoon of Giloy powder to a cup of water. Leave it overnight and drink it empty stomach early in the morning.
- Jamun seed: Jamun seeds improve the secretion of insulin and control hyperglycemia. In addition, it aids wound healing and reduces the risk of kidney dysfunction. Dry and grind the seeds of Jamun to make a fine powder. Consume a teaspoon of Jamun seed powder with water on an empty stomach every day in the morning.
- Moringa or drumstick leaves – Moringa leaves maintain normal blood sugar level and proves to be one of the excellent home remedies for diabetes. Chemicals present in drumstick leaf increases the secretion of insulin hormone and have anti-inflammatory property. Also, moringa leaves are rich in antioxidants. Dry moringa leaves and grind them to make powder. Steep a teaspoon of moringa leaf powder in a cup of steaming water. Strain and add a half teaspoon lemon juice. Drink it warm.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fenugreek seeds are rich in fiber and slows the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates in the body. It improves the way how the body uses sugar and increases insulin production. Soak teaspoon fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight. Consume it in the morning. Alternatively, you can also eat a teaspoon of fenugreek sprout.
- Curry leaves – Being rich in fibre content, curry leaves slows the digestion. It boosts the activity of insulin and enables the body to use insulin properly thus, stabilizes the level of blood sugar. Eat a hand full of fresh curry leaves empty stomach in the morning.
Uncontrolled diabetes reduces the quality of life and life expectancy. In addition, it imposes a large economic burden on the patient’s families and health care system. Home remedies for diabetes are cost-effective and works synergistically with the medicines prescribed by your doctor to keep the level of blood sugar under check.
Do not consider home remedies for diabetes stand-alone treatment or alternative to conventional medicines prescribed by your health care provider. Also, we advise consulting your doctor before taking any supplements or herb claiming to benefit people with diabetes.