Chest congestion is a very common ailment which is usually caused due to the common cold. It is an uncomfortable condition where mucus builds up in the respiratory tract. Its other causes are an allergy, asthma, flu, tuberculosis and pneumonia.
This is a very uncomfortable condition resulting in the short supply of oxygen and tiredness. Other associated symptoms are difficulty in breathing, throat irritation, heaviness in the chest, mild pain in the chest and dizziness. It may also be accompanied with fever, wheezing, running nose and body ache.
To get relief from chest congestion, it is very important to remove the mucus from chest region. Below are a few home remedies for the same.
Top 6 home remedies to treat chest congestion
1. Steam inhalation with essential oil- This is a traditional way to get rid of chest congestion. For this boil water in a kettle. Fill a bowl with boiled water. Now add a few drops of eucalyptus oil, peppermint essential oil, and rosemary oil. Now keep your face over the hot water bowl and cover your head with a towel. Breath deeply and inhale as much as steam as you can. Do this for 10 minutes. Repeat this 2 times a day.
* Pregnant women, children and people with hypertension and heart disease should avoid this.
2. A saltwater gargle- It is an effective way to remove the mucus from the respiratory tract. It also eases associated throat irritation.
Take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon salt to it. Mix well and gargle with it for 10 minutes. Repeat this several times a day until you find relief.
* If you have blood pressure better avoid this.
3. Onions- They contain Quercetin and sulfur that break mucus and relieves chest congestion. Take small raw onions or the shallot, chew them and swallow them. You may also sauté onion.
4. Ginger– It is anti-inflammatory and is also known to boost immunity. It contains polyphenols that inhibit the mucus secretion. Also, it fights the infection that may be a cause of chest congestion.
Take a few slices of ginger and put them in a cup of steaming water. Steep it for 15 minutes and then strain the concoction. Add half teaspoon honey to it. Drink it 2 times a day to relieve your symptoms.
5. Licorice roots. They are anti-inflammatory and loosen the phlegm. It contains saponin glycosides that are a good expectorant. Take a teaspoon licorice root powder and add it to the boiling water. Steep for some time and strain it. Drink it 2 times to relieve congestion of chest.
6. Lemon- The citric acid present in lemon thins the mucus. It also improves the body immunity. Take a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and a half teaspoon honey. Drink this solution several times to ease symptoms.
Besides above-mentioned home remedies to ease chest congestion drink plenty of fluids, Avoid smoking and practice breathing exercises which will improve your lung capacity. In case you don’t find any relief from above home remedies or if your cough is persistent please consult your physician.