The mucous lining of our respiratory tract produces flem. It is a thick and a liquid substance. It helps to filter the air that reaches the lungs. During infection of the respiratory tract, production of flem in throat increases. It contains infection causing pathogens such as virus and bacteria along with inflammatory cells.
Besides infection, other causes of flem in the throat are an allergy, asthma, flu, common cold, a sore throat, vocal cord damage, and smoking.
In a healthy person, flem color is white. But in the case of infection of lower respiratory tract, it is dark yellow in color. This condition may last for 5 to seven days. In smokers, it is dark brown. If it contains blood it is an indication of bronchitis and if it is green in color it is a symptom of pneumonia. In both the conditions, you should consult a doctor.
Below in this article are top 5 home remedies to treat flem in the throat
1. Salt water gargle- This is an effective solution for most of the ailments of the respiratory tract. It thins the mucus and reduces inflammation.
Take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon salt to it. You may also add half teaspoon baking soda. Mix well and gargle with this solution for 10 minutes. Repeat this 3 a day. If you have hypertension better avoid it.
2. Steam inhalation– Again this is a popular and traditional method that not only treats the flem in the throat but also relieves the blocked nose. You may use a vaporizer for steam inhalation. Another method is towel method. For this take, steaming water in a bowl. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil and lavender oil. Place your face over the bowl and inhale deeply. Do this for 10 minutes. Repeat this 2 times a day.
Alternatively, you may also take a hot water shower.
3. Honey- Honey is antibacterial and antiseptic. Take it either with black pepper or lemon. It is very useful in treating throat infections. Take a pinch of black pepper and add it to a teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture 2 times a day for a week.
Lemon contains vitamin C that boosts immunity. Also, it is antibacterial. Take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon honey to it. Squeeze a lemon and mix properly. Drink this 2 to 3 times a day.
4. Ginger- Ginger is very effective in treating chest congestion and flem in the throat. Grind few slices of ginger. You may also take a half teaspoon of ginger powder. Add it to a cup of boiling water. Steep it for 15 minutes. Strain the concoction and add a half teaspoon of honey and pinch of cinnamon powder. Drink this daily for a few days.
5. Garlic– It fights the infection-causing microbes. As the infection reduces production of the flem reduces. Chew a few cloves of garlic before sleeping for a few days.
Besides above home remedies quit smoking, limit the intake of fatty foods and avoid much exposure to fumes and chemicals .
Remember not to swallow the flem in the throat instead spit it. Drink plenty of water and eat food rich in vitamin C to boost immunity.
If you do not find relief, even after a week consult a doctor.